Strategically located at the crossroads of New England, Springfield is the largest city in western Massachusetts and its economic center. It is home to three four-year colleges: Springfield College, Western New England College and American International College, and the two-year Springfield Technical Community College. It is also the location of Baystate Medical Center, which is both the largest facility of its kind in western New England and the Western Campus of Tufts University Medical School. With an economy largely fueled by healthcare and education, the Greater Springfield area also boasts a number of biotech firms and the City is the headquarters of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), a Fortune 500 company.
Other Springfield-headquartered companies include Merriam-Webster Inc., Smith & Wesson Corp., and Big Y Supermarkets.
Springfield is notable for many firsts: It is the birthplace of Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known as Dr. Seuss, and the game of Basketball. It is home to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The City played a significant role as a manufacturing and transportation center, with the Indian Motocycle Company’s gas-powered motorcycle and the American-made automobile both developed here. Springfield also has five world-class museums, including the George Walter Vincent Smith Museum with its 150 examples of cloisonné, one of the largest collections outside of China. Springfield also is known as "The City of Homes" because of its abundance of historic and contemporary housing.
Click on the links below to learn more about Springfield and some key happenings.
- Click here for a video produced by the City of Springfield--November 2015
- Click here for a slideshow on MassLive--Springfield Vision 2017--March 2015
- Click here for a slideshow on MassLive--Springfield On the Rise--December 2014
- City of Springfield Homepage
- Springfield as Potential Site for Western Massachusetts Casino
- Union Station Project
- Springfield Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Springfield Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Choose Springfield, Massachusetts